terça-feira, 28 de junho de 2011

The miraculous staircase

Hi, folks. This is my entry for this week Three Muses Challenge: Stairs.

When the Loretto Chapel, in Santa Fe - New Mexico, was completed in 1878, there was no way to access the choir loft twenty-two feet above. Legend says that the Sisters of the Chapel made a novena to St. Joseph. On the ninth and final day of prayer, a man appeared at the Chapel with a donkey and a toolbox looking for work. Months later, the elegant circular staircase was completed, and the carpenter disappeared without pay or thanks. Some concluded that he was St. Joseph himself, having come in answer to the sisters' prayers. The stairway's carpenter, whoever he was, built a magnificent structure. The staircase has two 360 degree turns and no visible means of support. Also, it is said that it was built without nails—only wooden pegs.

9 comentários:

  1. I have been to the Loretto Chapel and seen this magnificent and amazing staircase. The story is wonderful. Thank you for reminding me of my visit there, and thanks for sharing the story!

    ResponderExcluir
  2. What a wonderful presentation, Christine...the stairs are fabulous, of course. Love your artwork!

    ResponderExcluir
  3. What an interesting story! Your digital collage makes the story more poignant.

    ResponderExcluir
  4. It certainly is a magnificent staircase, Christine, love how you art has illustrated you story - superb entry!

    ResponderExcluir
  5. Oh what a wonderful story, Christine. It is unlikely I will ever visit the Loretto Chapel but you have allowed me to view it in this wonderful and stunning piece.

    ResponderExcluir
  6. Beautifully done Christine. I've been there too and heard the story. Did you know that when it was first completed it didn't have the railing? It was added much later at the request of some of the elcerly sisters.

    ResponderExcluir
  7. I too have seen the Loretto Chapel stairs in person and was amazed. You created a great collage based on those stairs.

    Darla

    ResponderExcluir
  8. Christine, I LOVED reading your story and I agree with Ann. I don't think I will ever see it but your entry makes it REAL for me too.
    Thanks for this unique take on the challenge. Fantastic !!

    ResponderExcluir

Your kind comments are very welcome! Seus gentis comentários são muito bem-vindos.